Watch this wonderful tutorial from Hy-Vee on how to make the perfect holiday treat: Candy Cane Cookies!!
- 1/2 c. Hy-Vee shortening
- 1/2 c. Hy-Vee butter, softened
- 1 c. Hy-Vee powdered sugar
- 1 Hy-Vee large egg
- 1 tsp almond extract or 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp Hy-Vee vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 c. Hy-Vee all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Hy-Vee salt
- Red food coloring
- **Added nutritional benefit: 2 scoops Pinnaclife Prebiotic Fiber!
How To Video!
- In a large mixing bowl beat together shortening and butter. Beat in powdered sugar, egg and extracts.
- Combine flour and salt; beat into butter mixture until combined. Divide dough in half. Add enough red food coloring to one-half of dough to reach desired color; stir to evenly distribute color. To make shaping easier, chill dough 30 minutes.
- Using 1 tablespoon of dough for each rope, roll dough on a lightly floured surface using fingers in a gentle back-and-forth motion, forming a 4-inch-long smooth rope. There should be an equal number of plain and red ropes. Place a rope of each color side-by-side; press together lightly and gently twist. Arrange about 1-1/2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet, curving one end into a cane.
- Bake in a preheated 375-degree oven about 8 minutes or until cookies are firm to the touch (not brown). Cool for 1 minute before transferring cookies to wire rack to cool completely. (Note: Cookies break easily at the curve so take extra care in handling them.) Store in a tightly covered container, using waxed paper between layers.